I was born on a small island in the Inland Sea of Japan in 1966. Moving to Tokyo at 18, I studied music (jazz), and then later architecture at a polytech. I worked on construction sites as a welder and site manager for most of the 15 years I lived in Tokyo. In 1999, I moved to New Zealand with my New Zealand wife and have been living in Devonport, Auckland since then.
This website, including the graphics, photos and layout, is part of my design exercise.
You can see my regular postings by scrolling down to the 'workshop diary' on the main page.

tatsuhiko oga

about this piece

back to main page







[ After Installation ]
 
 [ Before Installation ]


The design of this house is greatly influenced by Frank Lloyed Wright. After I drew numerous sketches and computer graphics, I found that it was better to use an element of F.L.W.'s for this family house. I used a small section of stained glass designed by F.L.W. that I found in a book as a motif. I really liked the perfectly ordered randomness of this particular small section.

I presented this design along with a few others to the client, and interestingly they decided to go ahead with this design. I am very happy that we took this symbiotic approach and I think the piece blends well with the house and surroundings.

[ The detail of the front door of this house ]

         

I wanted to hide any fasteners behind the piece. Without any visible fasteners, the piece almost looks like it is floating.

Since I borrowed F.L.W.'s design, the next step was to think how I could contribute towards the design of the piece. I understood the complexity of this design if made in wood rather than the original stained glass, but I decided not to use any glue, screws or nails for this piece.
I thought that this reflected the spirit of the Japanese craftsman and is a great way of showing respect towards the client and their house.

The shadows created by morning, day and evening sun, or the light at night add additional geometric shapes to the piece.




and If you are interested in the production process of this piece, Please visit
http://workshop-oga.blogspot.com/2007/09/blog-post.html

Thanks.

 

back
mail
recommend this site to others